Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Day Two: Footprints

As I made my way to the kitchen this morning the sun was shining in and I noticed footprints, boot prints, and sneaker prints on the dark walnut floor in the foyer. Most of them were pretty little. No little feet have been in my foyer since last week. That means that those footprints have been there on my wood floor for three days. Three days?


That can't be. I am the woman who yells at her family when they track up the floor. I am the woman who cleans her floors and vacuums her carpet every day. I am the woman whose friends tease her because someone could eat off her floors. Then the light went on.


Change Number Two: Good


Surprise, surprise! I stopped putting the cleanliness of my floors above the happiness as my family. Those little Grands are responsible for an amazingly good change in me by unknowingly making me adjust my priorities.


Truth is, I love it when they come to my house. Obvious by the dirty foyer, I love it so much, I don't even notice the mess they make. Now that I think about it, on some level I must actually like the mess. It means they were here and it means that I didn't holler and yell at anyone to keep things pristine. Pristine is not who I am now, and I am happy to accept and embrace this change. Not yelling and nagging about things that can so easily be remedied makes me more fun to be around, more fun to visit and probably more likely to get visited.


Don't get me wrong, I still like a clean house and the foyer is already gleaming and footprint free, but I am not. There are now footprints on my heart -- proof that I am a Grandmother. A Grandmother who has changed for the better, thanks to her Grands.



No comments:

Post a Comment